Policy MattersWildlife

TIGER SAFARIS IN NAGARHOLE, BANDIPUR TO RESUME WITH REDUCED HOURS, VEHICLES

GREEN MINUTE NEWS:

Karnataka Forest Department will resume tiger safaris in both Bandipur and Nagarhole Tiger Reserves in phases. Not only the safari hours will be reduced but also the number of safari vehicles. In the background of human-wildlife conflict, followed by a series of deaths due to tiger attacks, tiger safaris had been suspended since November 7, last year.

Speaking to the media, after submission of the preliminary report of the expert committee on safari, Forests, Ecology and Environment Minister Eshwar B Khandre said, “Based on the report of the technical committee, tiger safaris will be resumed in the premier tiger reserves of Nagarhole and Bandipur.”

In a meeting held with senior forest officials on Wednesday, a preliminary report was submitted by the technical committee headed by APCCF. This committee was formed to scientifically determine and assess the eco-tourism carrying capacities of both Bandipur and Nagarhole Tiger Reserves. The preliminary report was reviewed today.

The Forest Minister said since the closure of the tiger safaris, thousands of local residents including farmers in H D Kote have protested and appealed for the safaris to be resumed. “This has disrupted their livelihoods, and in the wake of reports being published in many state and national media outlets that the safari should be resumed, there was a detailed discussion on a controlled and phased restart of the safari as not only lives must be saved but also livelihoods must be ensured.”

He further said that the safari will be resumed in Bandipur by reducing the number of trips, duration and the number of vehicles that were running until November 6, 2025.

  • Earlier, the safari was running for 8 hours in Bandipur but now it will be reduced to 5 hours.
  • Similarly, in the first phase, only 6 hours were allowed for safari in Sunkadakatte and 4 hours in Nagarhole.

Decision in the Wildlife Board meeting chaired by the Chief Minister

In the 20th meeting of the Karnataka State Board for Wildlife held under the chairmanship of the Chief Minister on January 2, a technical committee was formed and a decision was taken to re-start the safari in a phased manner based on the study report.

Accordingly, a technical committee was formed under the leadership of the APCCF, comprising other officers of the Forest Department, a scientist from the Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun (WII), and a professor from the Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal (IIFM). The Forest Minister said that this decision was taken after a thorough discussion today on the interim report given by this committee.

One-third of Tiger Safari Income for Local Development:

It was also agreed that the tiger safaris will restart on the condition that one-third of the total income accrued from the tiger safaris will be used for skill development of the local communities residing in the villages on the forest fringes. This revenue will be used for growing fodder for cattle and for environmental development works, and with the condition that appropriate personnel will be deployed in sensitive areas to prevent wildlife-human conflict.

Safari Vehicles to be fitted with Monitoring gadgets:

In addition, it has been advised by the technical expert committee that all safari vehicles should be fitted with engine-connected GPS and dash cams within the next two months to prevent misuse such as driving safari vehicles after dark and also driving for extended periods.

The former Chief Wildlife Warden also visited the human-wildlife management camps set up in the Hediyala and Saragur border areas of the Bandipur Tiger Reserve on December 28 and inspected them, and additional precautionary measures have been taken after the suspension of safaris. The Forest Minister also said since there have been no major untoward incidents in the last two months, it was recommended that tiger safaris be resumed in a phased manner.

The total area of ​​the Bandipur Tiger Reserve is 1036 square kilometres, of which the tourism sector area is only 8 percent that is 80 square kilometres. Similarly, the total area of ​​Nagarhole is 844 square kilometres and the ecotourism zone is only 63 square kilometres or 7.5 percent. Therefore, senior officials have stated that there is no scientific basis to say tiger safaris are the reason for tigers coming to the fringe villages from the forest.

Discussion on staff shortage, 50 percent Safari Vehicle usage:

The shortage of forest frontline staff and the need for vehicles in Bandipur, BRT, Nagarhole Tiger Reserve and MM Hills Sanctuary were discussed today.

The Karnataka Forest Department has decided to use only 50 percent of the vehicles used in safaris before November 7 in the first phase – while the remaining 50 percent of the vehicles and forest staff have been instructed to increase patrolling near the villages on the forest edge to prevent wild animals from entering the fringe villages.

So, to start with, tiger safaris will use only 50 percent of the vehicles in Bandipur and Nagarhole Tiger Reserve.

Tiger caught without informing NTCA:

It has been reported in the media that the National Tiger Conservation Authority – NTCA has expressed its objection to the capturing of tigers in the state. However, every time the Karnataka forest department catches a tiger, it follows the NTCA’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). Further, a committee was formed and the tiger capture operation was carried out as per the committee’s recommendations. The Forest Minister clarified that a representative of NTCA will also be present in this committee.

PCCF and Head of Forest Force Meenakshi Negi, Principal Secretary to ACS (Forests) Manoj Kumar, APCCF Biswajit Mishra and others were present in the meeting held on Wednesday.